The Channel Island of Jersey has a public area known as Liberation Square where freedom from military occupation is celebrated annually on the 9th of May. There are still many signs on the island of that painful occupation during World War Two – discarded bunkers, gun towers and casemates ravage the otherwise beautiful coastland as reminders of Hitler’s mighty ‘Atlantic Wall’. A day after VE Day, German forces surrendered unconditionally and Jersey found precious freedom again. It is not just in war that people lose freedom and live under the tyranny of occupation – many are living like this today but this is not the destiny for a child of God. Are you on the freedom path?
- ‘It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery’ – Galatians 5:1
- ‘Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom’ – 2 Corinthians 3:17
God’s wonderful plan has always been to bring freedom. In the Old Testament, this is expressed as Jubilee is to be celebrated every 50 years with people being set free from slavery and declared debt free. Even after ‘occupation’ entered every heart following ‘The Fall’ and the human race became like a vassal state, God’s plan was to bring us ‘into the freedom and glory of the children of God’ through Christ Jesus, our Redeemer. Have you found your freedom and are you living in it? Breaking out of occupation mentality and its crippling effects are vital if you are to live to your potential in Christ.
- ‘I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom’ – Bob Dylan
- ‘Let us ask ourselves, ‘What kind of people do we think we are?’ And let us answer, ‘Free people, worthy of freedom and determined not only to remain so but to help others gain their freedom as well’ – Ronald Regan
- ‘There is no such thing as part freedom’ – Nelson Mandela
Many are the ways that freedom can be taken as occupying forces seek to re-establish control and remove true liberty. The main battle ground is the mind but God has given you all you need to stand your ground in his freedom:
- ‘We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ’ – 2 Corinthians 10:5
- ‘Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand’ – Ephesians 6:10-18
If yours is the freedom path, don’t let yourself be moved from it.With it come much responsibility and much joy.
TAGS – freedom, liberty, Jersey, Dylan, Mandela, occupation