Do you have music in your heart? Take a moment to consider what is playing – heavy drums and pounding bass of the world that drown out your inner soul-space or another music? We all listen to something, even if we are hard of hearing there will be some inner music. Apparently there is music in space: just listen to the sound recorded on this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQL53eQ0cNA. Who is writing the tune, making the instruments and conducting the universal sounds?! Each one of us is an instrument in this cosmic pattern and makes a sound that is either in harmony or discordant, never mind the body sounds that ‘electronic tattoos’ are now able to pick up – each of us has a unique sound signature!
Even trees have been recorded drinking in moisture from the ground and we all know the beauty of the dawn chorus, a cat purring, a horse whinnying, a dolphin singing and the first sounds of life from a baby! All making music of its own. Has is ever struck you that God must like the sound of music?! Obviously he does, for he made all the instruments and involved us in the ‘sounding’ and in the listening with an amazing aural ability – ears are astonishing in shape and design … but why on earth do they exist, if not to hear?! That’s true for all our senses. So are you making music in time with the great conductor?
- ‘Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy’ – Psalm 96:11-12
- ‘Praise the Lord with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre’ – Psalm 33:2
- ‘All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; from palaces adorned with ivory the music of the strings makes you glad’ – Psalm 45:8
- ‘My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music’ – Psalm 57:7
Like pretty well every other gift given to us, we can use music for good or bad.The pied piper led children astray – there are many today who would do the same to every vulnerable soul.Whose drum beat are you following?
- ‘If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away’ – Henry David Thoreau
There is one who loves you so much that he sings over you at night.For any who are parents, this is easier to understand as you think of the lullabies that are sung, ‘rock-a-baby’ style.Have you ever thought that your Father God sings over you, when you cry, struggle, grapple with life and sob?
- ‘On that day they will say to Jerusalem, “Do not fear, Zion; do not let your hands hang limp. The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing”’ – Zephaniah 3:16-17
So we can and should make music in our hearts to the great composer, conductor and lover of our souls!And it’s not a duty, it’s a joy we’re ‘made’ for and to enjoy:
- ‘Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts’ – Colossians 3:16
- ‘So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding’ – 1 Corinthians 14:15
- ‘…be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ’ Ephesians 5:19-20
It seems like music, singing, worship is God’s idea and therefore … a good idea!You are God’s workmanship and made for this so that to do anything else is clearly going to be discordant. You are made for music and life … and life in harmony.
‘For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do’ – Ephesians 2:10
TAGS – music, worship, wonder, stones, trees, hearts, delight