Imagine yourself walking through a dark dense wood – you cannot see a path, the way ahead is blocked by branches, the light is poor and you start wondering if you’re going ‘to make it’. This experience of feeling boxed in is claustrophobic, debilitating and can be frightening. People find themselves trapped to the left and the right by many things – guilt, sorrow, shame, besetting sin, lack of self-worth, pain and circumstances. This is neither how the child of God should live now nor will it be in the future for our inheritance is freedom from the land of shadows. To discover the way into the spacious places with God is true breakthrough.
- ‘The truth is I love being alive. And I love feeling free. So if I can't have those things then I feel like a caged animal and I'd rather not be in a cage. I'd rather be dead. And it's real simple. And I think it's not that uncommon’ – Angelina Jolie
- ‘How does the Meadow flower its bloom unfold? Because the lovely little flower is free down to its root, and in that freedom bold’ – William Wordsworth
In the very nature and heart of God, you will find he delights to rescue the lost: ‘For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life’ – John 3:16. It was the Father who ran to the returning prodigal son. It is he whose steadfast love and compassion never fails. He knows our frailties and loves us just the same. God has planned your escape and deliverance for his children to a spacious place is certain and secure.
- ‘He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me’ – Psalm 18:16-19
- ‘We have escaped like a bird from the fowler’s snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth’ – Psalm 124:7-8
- ‘Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, like a bird from the snare of the fowler’ – Psalm 6:5
- ‘He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us’ – 2 Corinthians 1:10
Jesus Christ is our Immanuel, God with us, not far from us. He is our great priest who advocates on our behalf because he knows what we go through not from the outside in but from the inside out. He calls us out to freedom with and in him. Whatever your situation may be, listen to his voice and find strength to follow Christ to freedom.
- ‘No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it’ – 1 Corinthians 10:13
- ‘It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery’ – Galatians 5:1
- ‘So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed’ – John 8:36
- ‘In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence’ – Ephesians 3:12
- ‘I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts’ – Psalm 119:45
That broad open space represents your freedom – this is not just a nice idea, or a distinct possibility, it is the reality that is yours. No shadows, traps, creepy-crawlies or wild beasts here. Instead, it’s fresh air, fresh hope and a fresh perspective that you can have now.
- ‘Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart’ – Psalm 37:3-4
- ‘The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever’ – Psalm 23
This freedom path leads from these spacious places on earth right through to the house of God where a table is set with your name card and a room is prepared just for you. Christ Jesus reveals this freedom path in himself and accompanies you in His Spirit to help you.
- ‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am’ – John 14:1-3
- ‘Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling-place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away”’ – Revelation 21:1-4
- ‘Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus’ – Philippians 3:12-14
Don’t be boxed in by rubbish – leave it all behind! Head for the spacious pastures to take hold of all this with renewed joy, faith and certainty for this is an inheritance not to be squandered.
TAGS – freedom, uninhibited, inheritance, future