Do you ever feel that life is a little bit like the game of cat and mouse? What can you get away with? Who’s looking? You’ve done ‘it’ before and no one seemed to notice? Although this model cat is blindfolded, who’s to say that it isn’t peeping?! To the mouse, this is vital as it could be the difference between life and death. Confidence must not be misplaced or be based on a false premise for in such cases, life will fall apart. If the given statistic that 85% of people lack confidence is true, then what are the reasons for that and how can it be addressed? Are you genuinely confident behind the shop window shown to others?
- ‘Confidence is the most beautiful thing you can possess’ - Sabrina Carpenter
- ‘Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence’ - Helen Keller
- ‘Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time’ - Oswald Chambers
- ‘There is a very thin line between confidence and arrogance’ - Adam Peaty
Confidence has to do with trust, assurance and certainty which can be in others, things taken as fact or in personal abilities and self-esteem. People can feel confident in some situations, such as in an exam for which they are well revised, but totally lacking in a new context, such as a first day at work. You can observe children who seem very confident in familiar circumstances but who become withdrawn and reserved in new surroundings. As the child begins to work out the world, often the lack of confidence will be compounded inwardly but they learn to portray an outward confidence. Problems come to even the most confident of people when a mainstay of confidence is shattered for then a person needs to rebuild if they are going function in a demanding world.
11 CONFIDENCE BUILDERS
- HAVE A STRONGHOLD - ‘The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident’ - Psalm 27:1-3
- AN INWARD CONFIDENCE - ‘In returning and rest you shall be saved; In quietness and confidence shall be your strength’ - Isaiah 30:15
- A FRESH START - ‘Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need’ - Hebrews 4:16
- TRUE FREEDOM - ‘In Christ Jesus and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence’ - Ephesians 3:12
- INNER PEACE - ‘The result of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quiet confidence forever’ - Isaiah 32:17
- OUTWARD BLESSING - ‘But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit’ - Jeremiah 17:7-8
- GUARD IT - ‘So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised’ - Hebrews 10:35-36
- LASTS ALL THE WAY - ‘God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the Day of Judgement: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment’ - 1 John 4:16-18
- DEVELOP IN YOUTH - ‘Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity’ - 1 Timothy 4:12
- RETAIN IT - ‘For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you’ - Psalm 71:5-6
- LIVE BY IT - ‘I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him’ - 1 John 5:13-15
From time to time, you will meet people who are different because you know their confidence is not manufactured or artificial. It has a reality to it that you will witness as they go through all sorts of life situations and you will notice that people draw strength from them. Their strength comes not from what others think of them but because they know that God loves them as His own children and is totally for them. This is the way to live in confidence. If you think life is a game of cat and mouse, you probably have a wrong view of God and need to come to the discovery that he is your Father too.
‘See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!’ - 1 John 3:1
TAGS – adoption, parenthood, certainty, belief, personhood, fullness, purpose