Things are not always what they seem. The adverts often don’t live up to their promises; scams and ‘fake news’ have led to a lot of distrust and let-downs. You can see the featured matchstick conceals a trick for much is done with smoke and mirrors! Have you ever been taken in or missed a sleight of hand? Often it is done with intent to make you look foolish or to rob you of something that was important to you. The more precious the gold you carry, the more a target you become. Hackers of all descriptions are out there to break through into your security and steal from you. Followers of Christ carry treasures that make them a target for attacks to destroy faith, to ridicule and deceive with seductive offers. Have you experienced any of these that have nearly knocked you off the path you were on or that leave you feeling disconnected?
- ‘Deceivers are the most dangerous members of society. They trifle with the best affections of our nature and violate the most sacred obligations’ - George Crabbe
- ‘Deceit is the false road to happiness, and all the joys we travel through to vice, like fairy banquets, vanish when we touch them’ - Aaron Hill
An attack on the faith of a child of God can backfire if the believer realises where the attack comes from and what causes such an attack. Once you’ve been scammed you become all the more aware that people want to rob you and you become more watchful. It should be the same for Christians, for we are given plenty of warning regarding such attacks:
- ‘Keep your mind clear, and be alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he looks for someone to devour’ - 1 Peter 5:8
- ‘Guard your heart more than anything else, because the source of your life flows from it’ - Proverbs 4:23
- ‘At all times carry faith as a shield; for with it you will be able to put out all the burning arrows shot by the Evil One’ - Ephesians 6:16
If you have been a victim (or might be) and it feels as if you’re locked out of your account, there is a way to get back in!
- FIND THE LAST SAFE BACKUP POINT - ‘Stand at the crossroads and look. Ask where the old road is. Ask where the good road is, and walk on that road. If you do, you will find rest for yourselves’ (Jeremiah 6:16)
- NOTHING TOO HARD OR TOO BAD - ‘If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness’ (1 John 1:9)
- UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE GUARANTEED - ‘My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand’ (John 10:27-29)
- DOUBTS ARE NORMAL BUT BRING THEM TO JESUS - ‘We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ’ (2 Corinthians 10:5)
Jesus tells the story of the lost son finding his way back to a rousing welcome. That way is free from all condemnation with Jesus promising to speak up for you and God the Father declaring that he is on your side - what more could we want.
It’s time for good decisions - doubt your doubts and belief your beliefs! This is the way of life and peace for your soul.
TAGS - hope, forgiveness, second chance, new start, peace